“A healthy self-love means we have no compulsion to justify to ourselves or others why we take vacations, why we sleep late, why we buy new shoes, why we spoil ourselves from time to time. We feel comfortable doing things which add quality and beauty to life.” – Andrew Matthews
(Thank you Lori Romney Photography for making me feel beautiful with these photos.)
One thing that I love most about Valentine’s Day is that it gives me a reason to reflect on ways that I can better love and take care of myself. I think it can be easy to forget about taking care of ourselves when we are busy being, Wives, Mothers, Daughters, Students, Workers, Businesswomen, etc. You don’t need to do something extravagant or expensive to treat yourself every once in awhile. Here are a few things that you could try out. You’d be surprised at how doing something a little extra for yourself might just be the thing that you need to get yourself through the week!
- Take a nap- if you can manage to take a nap, go for it! Catching up on some rest always makes me feel like I can take on the rest of the day.
- Exercise- I don’t always love exercising and sometimes I drag my feet, but I feel so much better when I do. If I can’t make it to the gym I try and go for a walk or do something active. I sure can’t wait for summer to be here!
- Buy a magazine subscription- Everybody loves getting mail! Something about opening the mailbox and having a magazine to read makes me have a good day. Especially if I purchase a home design magazine, I could look at beautifully decorated homes all day long!
- Talk to your best friend- I have a best friend that I look forward to talking too, she always listens and it’s nice to have someone to talk to. There are times when we schedule when we will call each other so we know that we can talk and not have any interruptions. I always feel great after talking to my bestie.
- Pedicure/manicure- Get one! you won’t regret it. I always feel spoiled when I treat myself with a mani or pedi.
- Go for a drive- If I’m feeling extra stressed out, I really like to go for a drive and listen to my favorite music on the radio, as loud as I want since no one is with me. You’d be surprised at how much better you will feel after a long drive.
- Do that Pinterest craft- I love to be creative and crafty, but I don’t always set aside time to do it. Try and set some time for yourself and finally get that craft done.
- Write a letter- Write a letter to someone who has influenced you, it would make their day as well!
- Go to bed early- There are nights when the kids are finally in bed that I feel like I can finally straighten up the house and watch my shows. I always end up staying up later than I wanted to. If I try and go to bed earlier I feel refreshed and prepared for the next day.
- Buy that fancy chapstick- Spend that extra couple of dollars on that fancy chapstick. I’m always buying the basic chapstick, but every once in awhile I like to treat myself and it’s always fun to have a little something extra.
I truly hope you’ll try one or more of these ideas, and let me know if you do! I want to hear how it made you feel after you treated yourself!